Take a glance at the sugar content of a packet of granola and you would be forgiven for thinking it doesn’t belong in the healthy breakfast bracket. However, in reality all this does is demonstrate the limits of such a narrow approach to nutrition. Look at granola’s nutritional profile as a whole and its value becomes clear.
It’s high in sugar and calories, sure, but look at that as the necessary fuel for a busy day ahead. Oaty granola is also high in fibre and unsaturated fats, and if you add in nuts, seeds and fruit you’ll also be getting a good serving of protein as well as essential vitamins and minerals.
This granola recipe from Del Monte goes heavy on the extras, with seeds, spices and fruits all thrown into the mix, which is served over a base of maple-glazed pineapple slices.
Ingredients (serves four)
For the granola
- 500g rolled oats
- 60g desiccated coconut
- 60g mixed seeds
- 2tsp cinnamon
- 6tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 4tbsp maple syrup
- 2tbsp raw runny honey
- Zest of 1 orange
- 60g coconut flakes
- 60g dried cranberries
For the maple-glazed pineapple
- 1 can pineapple slices
- 2-3tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/gas mark 2.
- Place all the granola ingredients, with the exception of the orange, coconut flakes and cranberries, in a large bowl. Stir, then tip out onto a large lined baking tray, ensuring the oats are spread out thinly. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the oats from the oven, then stir through the orange zest, coconut flakes and cranberries and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes until golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool. The granola will crisp up while cooling.
- When the granola is cooked, glaze the pineapple. Place the slices in a large shallow dish and pour over the maple syrup ensuring both sides are soaked in the syrup.
- Heat a griddle pan over a medium-hot heat. When hot, lay the rings in the pan and cook for two to three minutes until griddle lines appear. Carefully turn the rings over and cook for a further two minutes.
- To serve, place the pineapple on a plate with a large dollop of coconut yogurt. Sprinkle over a spoonful of granola.